Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Republican Debate



Ronald Reagan is the front runner. They all seemed to want to be him instead of themselves. For some reason they seem to think that a guy that was old when he was President 25 years ago is a model for the world today. I don't get it, but if they want to live in the past I am betting the American people will show them the error of their ways.

It was interesting to note that in an audience full of Republicans and right leaning independents the crowd was notably in favor of ending this occupation(they called it war) and bringing the troops out.

They were all dying to talk about immigration. They really believe they have an issue there and they may be right. It is a big issue. Who has the best plan on either side is still up in the air though. The rights argument appears to me to focus around anger punishing Mexicans and not any positive vision of what can be done for Americans.

Mike Huckabee sounded more like a member of the Christiban than even Brownback did. There was lots of God talk. They love to wear their religion on their sleeve.
This isn't the first time that Mitt Romney has come off to me as quite pompous.

They were all happy to bash Bush. I guess only Republicans are allowed to do that? Here is an interesting piece from Glenn Greenwald on that very issue.
There is no way I will vote for any of those guys but should America vote to continue to support failure here is how I would rank them after the debate tonight.

McCain-He's lost the mojo he had in the last election but he seems to at least have some kind of common sense even if I disagree often times. I give him credit for being a grown up. A rare commodity in the party. Also he has proven he is ready to work across the aisle.

Ron Paul- This guy is right on the money on so many things but after exploring his record I couldn't see him running the show. The John Birchers have been giving him 100s for years now. At least he has integrity. Unfortunately if you want the government to do anything besides defense you are going to be disappointed with him.

Rudy- Probably the most truly moderate in the field. He's way too in to being the hardcore tough guy for me though.

Duncan Hunter- Sometimes he says stuff I agree with almost word for word. Unfortunately on most stuff I couldn't disagree with him more.
What's left is those that are truly dregs.

Mitt Romney-What a flip flop con job flake. The hope is that he would flip flop in the right direction if America insisted.

Tommy Thompson- Goofball. May have some ideas but not an image I think America wants to project to the world.

Tom Tancredo- One issue and angry and mean about that one.

Sam Brownback- Probably a nice man but one of the most likely to mix religion and politics.

Jim Gilmore- Why is this guy here?

Mike Huckabee- Totally disgusted me with every single thing he said. So bad he scared me.

Of course we have Fred Thompson who is about to join the fray. I saw him give a speech on CSPAN the other night. He looks like a combination of much of the worst of all of them which means he will probably be the nominee.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the pic of the caveman, Ron? Neanderthal Man was smart enough to invent fire, while the GOP's president can barely spell it. LOL
Also, Fred Thompson should stick to acting. I like him OK on "Law and Order", but am really sorry to hear he's a Republican-ugh!!

Libby

10:20 PM, June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fire? OK, it's official. Global warming has fried my brain circuits and I've begun turning into a Bush clone. Scary!
Make that:
Neanderthal Man was smart enough to invent the wheel, while the GOP's president can barely spell the word.

1:41 AM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Dedanna said...

Ok. Insofar as Reagan goes, I prefer him too. Yeah, call me what you want for it, but I do. I don't think by any means that he was the be-all end-all of presidents, because he did cause a lot of shit for a lot of people.

BUT, what I like about him, is he also caused a lot of shit for the Republicans around at the time (who were shit themselves). He was a rebellion hellion. In a way, meant to be something he wasn't -- a Republican.

I wouldn't (and didn't at the time) vote for him today if he were around, but as Republicans go, I'd prefer him to the assholes we have now any day of the week.

BTW Ron, been meaning to ask if you've been here?

Will be back when I can.

Take care.

10:21 PM, June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted for Reagan, the FIRST time because someone had convinced me that Jimmy Carter was bad for the economy. (Oh yeah, and trickle down economics turned out so well, didn't it? NOT for anyone but the rich/corporations.) I wavered in the voting booth and have felt guilty ever since. However, Reagan was a sight better than these hypocritical war criminals who call themselves Republicans, but who are really corporate globalists. If he hadn't had Alzheimer's when Dubya and Cheney started all this cr*p, I'm sure he would've screamed bloody murder. Anyway, Reagan is where The UNChristian Coalition started their takeover of our Federal government, and except for what good Clinton managed to do (and the Berlin Wall coming down, etc.), it's been pretty much downhill ever since.
Libby

11:33 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger Ron said...

Reagan got them to hold the hostages until after the election. He traded arms to Iran in return for money and material for an illegal war in Nicaragua(sp?). That's only the begining. He sucked ass just as bad as these assholes in my book...well almost. At least he didn't try to burn the Constitution. That being the best faint praise I could give him.
He was the starting point for the evil that corrupts the Republiscum Party today.

12:40 AM, June 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much has This been mentioned in the "liberal" MSM or in the Presidential Debates (other than maybe Kucinich) to Idle Reality Americans?

Larry in New Mexico

2:33 PM, June 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liberal MSM? Not only is there almost no liberal media, the message boards on Yahoo, etc. are being done away with. Yahoo claimed it was temporarily removing its discuss option re: articles for revamping and that was months and months ago. The Mssg Brds were an easy and very accessible way to get opinions and alternate news out there and to rip into Bush, Cheney, etc. The latter want to do away with blogs, etc. that do the same and to h*ll with free speech.
No surprise to me what is happening re: Iraq, the oil fields, the workers, etc.-the neo-cons being the anti-union colonialist fascist pigs that they are.

And I didn't say I liked Reagan, but that's how much I hate Cheney, etc. At least, Reagan didn't call the USSR an axis of evil nation while he was in office, not that I can recall, anyway. He invited Gorbochev and his wife to the U.S. and treated them well and showed them how great our free enterprise system was working along with our freedoms. We didn't have a war with the USSR that cost us the lives of 3500+ of our men and women and trillions of dollars and the respect of the world. You can give him a little credit for that. By the way, I have read that Reagan and Nancy loathed the Bush family. I, also, have to say that Ron and Nancy had a lot more class in their little pinky toes than that country music loving anti-intellecutual redneck has in his entire body. If I believed that Dubya was really the president, I'd still be ashamed to claim him.

Libby

12:07 AM, June 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS
Republiscum-that's a good one I will have to remember and share with others. LOL

12:10 AM, June 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Apparently, I have early Alzheimer's and can't remember who said, "We must all hang together or most assuredly we will all hang separately." Was that
Ben Franklin? We Dems and Liberals need to remember that. One of our big problems is fighting each other instead of the enemy. Republiscum- Did you think that up yourself, Ron, or did you hear it someplace else? I really like that one.
Also, Bill O'Reilly has once again made Keith Oberman's list for Worst Person in the World! He ought to change the name of his show to "The O'Reilly' Factorfiction".

Libby

4:13 PM, June 09, 2007  
Blogger Ron said...

Sorry, gone for the weekend and just getting caught up.
Republiscum...popular. Not an original by any stretch. They love to call the left..moonbats..libtard..dumbocratsand just lib is a bad word to them. I particularly enjoy the ones that use libtard in some inane red herring argument. Irony!

11:47 PM, June 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used to see libtard and other things on the message boards before Cheney made sure there would no longer be a discuss option after news articles. I would suggest that the idjits look up the word liberal in a dictionary instead of letting Rush, etc. define it for them. Often I would define it myself, as did other liberals. Did no good cuz these people are too dumb to learn anything new. Republiscum is one I haven't seen til now, but I haven't been to a lot of blogs, like you have been. You must have a far stronger stomach than I do if you can stand to look at these rightwing nut job blogs and listen to Rush, O'Reilly, etc. :-) Listening to them at all puts me at risk for a stroke, cuz I get so furious at their idiotic opinions and their general hatefulness I could just scream.
Libby

2:18 AM, June 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home