Tuesday, September 12, 2006

9/11

I have been pre occupied with other priorities of life over the past few days. There certainly is a lot to write about. People wasted a lot of print and bandwidth on the ABC 9/11 movie. It was certainly appropriate to bring out the fact that it wasn't fact. It was good to bring out how misleading the "based on the 9/11 commission report" was. To me, the rest of it seemed like overwrought bickering on both sides. Once the program aired the facts could be made clear. It would have been fun to point out the lies after everyone had seen them. In short too much gnashing of teeth on both sides before the movie even aired. Oh by the way, from what I saw the ratings for the program were at very best mediocre.
We also had the 9/11 ...whatever it was yesterday. I could barely watch. I personally felt that most of the coverage, especially the "live replay" of events that day, was over the top. The whole day was a sick and disgusting , intense national display of weakness and venerability. No inspiration, just fear and sadness. I could hardly watch so I admit I saw little of it. Every time I turned into the news stations it was what I described above. I am just so tired of that attitude.
I know much of this may make some see me as insensitive. I thought about that my self and apologize if you think that is my sentiment. It isn't though.
It occurred to me that part of the problem with this struggle we are involved in is that a large portion of America is being kept out of the discussion and decisions on what to do. You who are a part know who you are and those that aren't are wondering what the hell I am talking about.
There is no national debate on what to do. Any idea from the Dems or those left of President Cheney is dismissed with a bumper sticker smear. We aren't having a serious national discussion on what we can do to fight the problem and prepare for the future. We aren't having a serious national discussion on how much liberty we are willing to trade for security. The rightists have the power and they are doing what they want and branding others as traitors. Enough! When we get a leader who really wants to win for America and not just for his/her party we will have a real national discussion. To win this we need leaders who are willing to take the best ideas from all sides. That will not happen with the people in power. That will not happen with apologists like Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Coulter dominating our airwaves and national discussion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dedanna said...

I got up and turned on the t.v. to get the weather right quick. I have cable now.

Weather isn't what I got. It was STILL 9/11 coverage on at least 10 of the main channels I watch.

Disgusting is an understatement. More like bloated, extremely propagandized, way-overcommercialized, hypocritical would be it.

Needless to say, I turned the damned thing back off.

You are right in the "show how weak and vulnerable we are". I think that such a display of how hurt we are from 9/11 is way wrong. I don't think, even for those who were hurt, that we should show it. When we do, we show how the people who did it have won.

Life goes on. Let it.

8:50 AM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Ron said...

Exactly, reverence and respect is one thing. Weak and weepy is quite another. We need to use these things to inspire and not instill fear. We, as you said, are just showing how damaged we appear to be to the enemy when we act like this.

9:25 AM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Dedanna said...

We are losing a war right now, and there's no getting around that...

10:45 AM, September 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home